Sometimes God calls with a bolt of light that knocks you to the ground. Other times, he uses burning vegetation or a talking donkey.
But often, when He’s really getting serious, He uses a still, small voice.
A tug at the heart. Some hushed words around glowing embers by the sea. Then a whisper to the soul. Followed by connections, abundant prayer, and an unshakeble burden to move in a fresh direction. And a peace that passes all understanding that the new call is exactly where you should be.
That’s why I’m headed to train Christian leaders in Guam and the surrounding islands — on the other side of the world.
Go and make disciples of all the nations. ~ Jesus
An invitation to lead
It’s my privilege to accept an invitation to partner with Equip Leadership, Inc. as an Associate Trainer for the next three years to launch leadership training in Guam. Founded by John Maxwell, Equip is a non-profit organization dedicated to training and equipping Christian leaders around the world.
As an associate trainer, I will be using John Maxwell’s excllent leadership materials to lay a foundation for even greater discipleship in Guam and the surrounding islands.
Everything rises and falls on leadership. ~ John C. Maxwell, Equip founder
I know what you’re thinking — as a father of six, are you sure you want to travel a whole day away to the other side of the world to do this? Shouldn’t you wait until, you know, the kids grow up and life quiets down?
In a word — no. Here’s why:
- God has called now. I must answer now. “No man having put his hand to the plow and looking back is fit for the Kingdom of God.” (Luke 9:62)
- It’s too easy to stay in the boat. When Peter answered Christ’s call to step out onto the water, no other disciples were fighting for the opprtunity. But that’s leadership. If I want to be a leader, I have to lead by example — and train others to do so wherever the need may be.
- My children need to see faith in action. It’s not enough for me to tell them to go. They need to see me going when I’m called, to take the first step into the river and trust that God will part the waters like He said He would. My prayer is that my obedience will raise their vision for advancing the Kingdom of God as they see Him working through me and providing for us.
How it works
My committment in Guam is for three years. I will be leading a training conference once very six months for a total of at least six trips. I’ll be partnering with an awesome couple, Frank and Lynda Hester, who have also been led to launch with Equip in Guam. Each trip will take about a week or so depending on what other ministry opportunities open to us there.
I need your help — or, rather, the work of God requires it out of the overflow of your love for Him.
The entire three-year effort will take at least $36,000.
But I’m not worried about it.
Therefore we will not fear, even though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea…. God is in the midst of her, she shall not be moved; God shall help her, just at the break of dawn…. Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth! (Psalm 46)
The earth is the Lord’s and all that is in it. (Psalm 24:1. Funny, we had that verse read at our wedding.) So we’ll step out of the boat for the next great adventure (We had that Steven Curtis Chapman song played right after we said, “I do.”) — and watch God be God.
What you can do
You can respond to His call with support in two ways:
1. Prayer. We need it. If that’s all you can do, it is enough. Please pray that God will move mightily in Guam to equip leaders who will make disciples who will make disciples.
2. Money. Kingdom work requires Kingdom resources. You can give in one of two ways:
- Make a tax-deductible donation directly to Equip Leadership, Inc. right now. It’s easy. It’s secure. And if the tax deduction helps, then that’s the way to go. You can make a one-time or a recurring gift. Click the Equip icon below and be sure to select “Guam” as the designated country:
It would help if you could then send an e-mail to Bill@BillintheBlank.com just to let me know a gift has been made. If you prefer to remain anonymous, that’s fine too. God will work it all out.
- Make a donation to cover travel, lodging, and related expenses. About half the cost of training these leaders will be getting there, staying there, and getting back home. All such costs will be coming out of our own pocket. That’s fine — if that’s what God wants. He’ll provide. If you feel led to help cover these costs, just click on the secure “Donate” button below. A PayPal account is NOT required.
Thank you for your prayer and support! I truly value all of it as evidence of God’s guiding hand. You can learn more about Guam here.
And, of course, I’ll keep you posted here on my blog – FaithWalkers at Patheos s — so be sure to subscribe there for regular updates.
God’s work, done God’s way, will never lack God’s supply. ~ J. Hudson Taylor